- १ WikiConference India 2016 update
- २ Apply for WikiConference India 2016 scholarships
- ३ Wikipedia to the Moon: voting has begun
- ४ Compact Links coming soon to this wiki
- ५ Compact Language Links enabled in this wiki today
- ६ Wikipedia to the Moon: invitation to edit
- ७ Open call for Project Grants
- ८ Save/Publish
- ९ The visual editor will be enabled on this wiki in some days
- १० New Wikipedia Library accounts available now (August 2016)
- ११ The visual editor is now active here
- १२ Machine translation support to be enabled soon for Content Translation
- १३ RevisionSlider
- १४ Machine translation support enabled today for Content Translation
- १५ Grants to improve your project
- १६ Creative Commons 4.0
- १७ Editing news n.3-2016
- १८ New Wikipedia Library Accounts Available Now (November 2016)
- १९ Password reset
- २० Adding to the above section (Password reset)
- २१ Help test offline Wikipedia
- २२ New way to edit wikitext
- २३ Review of initial updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process
- २४ Overview #2 of updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process
- २५ We invite you to join the movement strategy conversation (now through April 15)
|सामाजिक पोर्टलका सन्देशहरू|
WikiConference India 2016 update
Apply for WikiConference India 2016 scholarships
Wikipedia to the Moon: voting has begun
Hello, after six weeks of community discussion about Wikipedia to the Moon, there are now 10 different proposals for content for the mission. Starting today, you can vote for them on Meta-Wiki, and decide what we will work on: a Wikipedia canon, different lists, the Moon in 300 languages, an astronomy editathon, featured articles, articles about technology, endangered things, or DNA-related topics. You can even vote against community involvement. Voting is open until 24 June. Sorry that this message is again in English only, but we are using village pumps to reach as many communities as possible, so that everyone knows they can vote. Best, Moon team at Wikimedia Deutschland १५:३१, १० जुन २०१६ (युटिसी(UTC))
Compact Links coming soon to this wiki
Please help translate to your language
Hello, I wanted to give a heads up about an upcoming feature for this wiki which you may seen already in the Tech News. Compact Language Links has been available as a beta-feature on all Wikimedia wikis since 2014. With compact language links enabled, users are shown a much shorter list of languages on the interlanguage link section of an article (see image). This will be enabled as a feature in the soon for all users, which can be turned on or off using a preference setting. We look forward to your feedback and please do let us know if you have any questions. Details about Compact Language Links can be read in the project documentation.
Due to the large scale enablement of this feature, we have had to use MassMessage for this announcement and as a result it is only written in English. We will really appreciate if this message can be translated for other users of this wiki. The main announcement can also be translated on this page. Thank you. On behalf of the Wikimedia Language team: Runa Bhattacharjee (WMF) (talk)-१३:०६, २९ जुन २०१६ (युटिसी(UTC))
Compact Language Links enabled in this wiki today
Please help translate to your language
Compact Language Links has been available as a beta-feature on all Wikimedia wikis since 2014. With compact language links enabled, users are shown a much shorter list of languages on the interlanguage link section of an article (see image). Based on several factors, this shorter list of languages is expected to be more relevant for them and valuable for finding similar content in a language known to them. More information about compact language links can be found in the documentation.
From today onwards, compact language links has been enabled as the default listing of interlanguage links on this wiki. However, using the button at the bottom, you will be able to see a longer list of all the languages the article has been written in. The setting for this compact list can be changed by using the checkbox under User Preferences -> Appearance -> Languages
The compact language links feature has been tested extensively by the Wikimedia Language team, which developed it. However, in case there are any problems or other feedback please let us know on the project talk page. It is to be noted that on some wikis the presence of an existing older gadget that was used for a similar purpose may cause an interference for compact language list. We would like to bring this to the attention of the admins of this wiki. Full details are on this phabricator ticket (in English).
Due to the large scale enablement of this feature, we have had to use MassMessage for this announcement and as a result it is only written in English. We will really appreciate if this message can be translated for other users of this wiki. Thank you. On behalf of the Wikimedia Language team: Runa Bhattacharjee (WMF) (talk)-०३:०५, १ जुलाई २०१६ (युटिसी(UTC))
Wikipedia to the Moon: invitation to edit
Three weeks ago, you were invited to vote on how to take Wikipedia articles to the Moon. Community voting is over and the winning idea is to send all ‘’featured articles and lists’’ to the Moon. This decision means that, starting today, Wikipedians from all language communities are warmly invited to intensively work on their best articles and lists, and submit them to Wikipedia to the Moon. The central site to coordinate between communities will be Meta-Wiki. You will find an overview and more information there. Hopefully, we will be able to represent as many languages as possible, to show Wikipedia’s diversity. Please feel kindly invited to edit on behalf of your community and tell us about your work on featured content!
Best, Moon team at Wikimedia Deutschland १४:१०, १ जुलाई २०१६ (युटिसी(UTC))
Open call for Project Grants
Please help translate to your language:
- Greetings! The Project Grants program is accepting proposals from July 1st to August 2nd to fund new tools, research, offline outreach (including editathon series, workshops, etc), online organizing (including contests), and other experiments that enhance the work of Wikimedia volunteers.
- Whether you need a small or large amount of funds, Project Grants can support you and your team’s project development time in addition to project expenses such as materials, travel, and rental space.
- Also accepting candidates to join the Project Grants Committee through July 15.
- With thanks, I JethroBT (WMF) १५:२५, ५ जुलाई २०१६ (युटिसी(UTC))
The visual editor will be enabled on this wiki in some days
Hello again. Please excuse the English. Please help translate to your language. धन्यवाद!
As per previous announcements earlier this year, the visual editor (दृष्टि सम्पादक) will be enabled at this Wikipedia in some days. It allows people to edit articles as if they were using a typical word processor. Here's a quick explanation of what is going to happen: you can find a more detailed one, with pictures, at mediawiki.org.
- What's changing?
- In the new system, you get a single edit tab which follows your preferences, and that therefore will launch the wikitext editor or the visual editor depending on which one you opened the last (Remember my last editor).
This applies to everyone who edited recently, including anonymous users.
- How do I switch to the other editor then?
- Buttons on the toolbars of both editors were added months ago so that you can switch from one to the other every time you want to, without losing your changes and without having to save first.
The button, located on the right side of the toolbar, looks like square brackets ([[ ]]) in the visual editor, and like a pencil () in the wikitext editor.
- Are there other options available?
- Yes. You can choose whether you want:
- Always give me the visual editor if possible (if you temporarily switch to the wikitext editor through the button on the toolbar, the system won't remember it; also, it only applies to namespaces where the visual editor is available).
- Always give me the source editor (if you temporarily switch to the visual editor through the button on the toolbar, the system won't remember it)
- Show me both editor tabs (a system in place at multiple wikis since 2013. You are familiar with this option if you have been using the visual editor here.)
- Please note: all the users will always have the opportunity to switch to the other editor via buttons on the toolbars, for occasional edits.
- How do I set my preference?
- If you want to try or to stay in the new system: you don't need to do anything.
- If you had explicitly disabled the visual editor in the past and want to keep it disabled: you don't need to do anything.
- All the registered users have a dropdown menu in the Editing tab of their Preferences (सम्पादन --> Editing mode:), where they can choose from. This only needs to be done once. Don't forget to save ;)
- Users with the visual editor disabled need to re-enable it if they're interested in accessing that menu!
- People who use the visual editor regularly will see a pop-up (only once after the single edit tab system is introduced), and they can choose their favorite setting there. Of course, they can change their mind at any time just like the others, and pick a different setting from their Preferences.
- Anonymous users who have used the visual editor recently will also be able to choose which editor they want to edit with.
- Reminder: all the users will always have the opportunity to switch to the other editor via buttons on the toolbars, for occasional edits.
- Final remarks
- Please spread the word about this major change in any way that you deem appropriate for this community, by linking to this announcement elsewhere, putting up a site notice, etc. Please note it will affect all the registered users at first, and after some days it will reach logged-out contributors as well if no major technical issues have arisen. Biplab Anand, Tulsi Bhagat, Bijay chaurasia, सरोज कुमार ढकाल : given your experience with this language and this community, I appreciate your support in making sure everyone here is aware of this change. Don't hesitate to ask questions, I'll be around for a while to help!
- Please do let us know about any anomalies you think you're experiencing, and do post any other feedback below. I'd like to thank everyone who works to make the transition easier for this community, and whoever will help me processing feedback in your language.
- You can learn more about optimizing the visual editor experience here by reading a guide on mediawiki.org.
New Wikipedia Library accounts available now (August 2016)
The Wikipedia Library is announcing signups today for free, full-access, accounts to published research as part of our publisher donation program. You can now sign up for new accounts and research materials from:
- Nomos – Primarily German-language publisher of law and social sciences books and journals - 25 accounts
- World Scientific – Scientific, technical, and medical journals - 50 accounts
- Edinburgh University Press – Humanities and social sciences journals - 25 accounts
- American Psychological Association – Psychology books and journals - 10 accounts
- Emerald – Journals on a range of topics including business, education, health care, and engineering - 10 accounts
Do better research and help expand the use of high quality references across Wikipedia projects: sign up today!
--The Wikipedia Library Team १८:३९, ३० अगस्त २०१६ (युटिसी(UTC))
The visual editor is now active here
Hello again. This message is only available in English at this time: Please help translate to your language. धन्यवाद!
As some of you have noticed, this Wikipedia now has the visual editor (दृष्टि सम्पादक) enabled for all registered users. The rollout to logged-out users will likely happen in a week or so.
For an explanation of how the editing system now works and how to choose/go back to your favorite setting, please see my previous announcement above. If you wish to change your editing system preferences now, this can be done from this link to your Preferences --> सम्पादन --> Editing mode:.
All edits using the visual editor will be tagged with "भिजुअल एडिटर" in recent changes, watchlists, and page histories. To access the User Guide for the visual editor, click on the "(?)" icon in its toolbar.
Please let us know if you find any problems. You can report issues directly in Phabricator, the new bug tracking system or on at mw:VisualEditor/Feedback; by all means, feel free to also ping or contact me directly if you prefer. In case of emergency (like an unexpected bug causing widespread problems), please contact James Forrester, the product manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or on IRC in the #mediawiki-visualeditor channel.
Happy editing! Respectfully, Elitre (WMF) १९:०१, ३० अगस्त २०१६ (युटिसी(UTC))
PS: Are you seeing interface messages that are not in this wiki's language? Please fix this by providing translations here. Translations may be also provided for the user guide. Please contact me if you want guidance in contributing translations!
- Just a heads-up that rollout of the visual editor on this wiki is now complete. Please refer to my previous messages for details. You can read the "checklist" that was written to help communities like yours in their process of adapting the visual editor to their customs and needs. Best, Elitre (WMF) १८:३७, ६ सेप्टेम्बर २०१६ (युटिसी(UTC))
Machine translation support to be enabled soon for Content Translation
Please help translate to your language
Hello, I wanted to give you a heads up that machine translation support for Nepali is now ready to be extended to Content Translation (beta feature) using Yandex. It is scheduled to be made active on this Wikipedia on September 14, 2016. This service can be used when translating Wikipedia articles into Nepali with Content Translation. To start using this service, please choose ‘’Yandex.Translate’’ from the ‘’Automatic Translation’’ dropdown menu that you see on the sidebar after you start translating an article. Please note, machine translation is available from all the languages that are supported by Yandex.Translate, but Content Translation can still be used in the usual manner for translating from all languages, with or without machine translation support. For more information, we request you to kindly take a look at the details about machine translation services in Content Translation and about Yandex translation services, including a summary of the legal contract. Please note, the translations made using Content Translation are also used to improve machine translation services.
We look forward to your feedback. You can reach us using the Project Talk page or phabricator ticket. This message could only be written in English and we will really appreciate if it can be translated into Nepali for other users of this Wikipedia. Thank you. On behalf of WMF Language team: --Runa Bhattacharjee (WMF) (कुरा गर्ने) १३:४९, ८ सेप्टेम्बर २०१६ (युटिसी(UTC))
Birgit Müller (WMDE) १५:०८, १२ सेप्टेम्बर २०१६ (युटिसी(UTC))
Machine translation support enabled today for Content Translation
Please help translate to your language
Hello, machine translation support for Content Translation (beta feature) has now been extended and enabled for users of Nepali Wikipedia using Yandex. It can be used when translating Wikipedia articles into Nepali with Content Translation. To start using this service, please choose ‘’Yandex.Translate’’ from the ‘’Automatic Translation’’ dropdown menu that you see on the sidebar after you start translating an article. Please note, machine translation is available from all the languages that are supported by Yandex.Translate, but Content Translation can still be used in the usual manner for translating from all languages, with or without machine translation support.
Wikimedia Foundation’s Legal team and Yandex had collaborated earlier to work out an agreement that allows the use of Yandex.Translate without compromising Wikipedia’s policy of attribution of rights, privacy of our users and brand representation. Since November 2015, Yandex machine translation has been used for articles translated for Wikipedias in many languages. For more information, we request you to kindly take a look at the details about machine translation services in Content Translation and about Yandex translation services, including a summary of the legal contract. Please note, translations made using Content Translation are also used to improve machine translation services.
We have tested the service for use on the Nepali Wikipedia, but there could be unknown problems that we are not aware of yet. Please do let us know on our Project Talk page or phabricator if you face any problems using Content Translation. This message is only in English and we will be very grateful if it could be translated into Nepali for other users of this Wikipedia. Thank you. On behalf of WMF Language team: --Runa Bhattacharjee (WMF) (कुरा गर्ने) २०:५७, १५ सेप्टेम्बर २०१६ (युटिसी(UTC))
Grants to improve your project
Please help translate to your language:
Greetings! The Project Grants program is currently accepting proposals for funding. There is just over a week left to submit before the October 11 deadline. If you have ideas for software, offline outreach, research, online community organizing, or other projects that enhance the work of Wikimedia volunteers, start your proposal today! Please encourage others who have great ideas to apply as well. Support is available if you want help turning your idea into a grant request.
- Submit a grant request
- Get help: In IdeaLab or an upcoming Hangout session
- Learn from examples of completed Individual Engagement Grants or Project and Event Grants
Creative Commons 4.0
Hello! I'm writing from the Wikimedia Foundation to invite you to give your feedback on a proposed move from CC BY-SA 3.0 to a CC BY-SA 4.0 license across all Wikimedia projects. The consultation will run from October 5 to November 8, and we hope to receive a wide range of viewpoints and opinions. Please, if you are interested, take part in the discussion on Meta-Wiki.
Apologies that this message is only in English. This message can be read and translated in more languages here. Joe Sutherland (talk) ०१:३५, ६ अक्टोबर २०१६ (युटिसी(UTC))
Editing news n.3-2016
Sorry for the delay in delivering this newsletter!
- Change or add a community page where the next issue is delivered
- Sign up personally
- Volunteer to provide translations in the future
Since the last newsletter, the VisualEditor Team has mainly worked on a new wikitext editor. They have also released some small features and the new map editing tool. Their workboard is available in Phabricator. You can find links to the list of work finished each week at mw:VisualEditor/Weekly triage meetings. Their current priorities are fixing bugs, releasing the 2017 wikitext editor as a beta feature, and improving language support.
- You can now set text as small or big.
- Invisible templates have been shown as a puzzle icon. Now, the name of the invisible template is displayed next to the puzzle icon. A similar feature will display the first part of hidden HTML comments.
- Categories are displayed at the bottom of each page. If you click on the categories, the dialog for editing categories will open.
- At many wikis, you can now add maps to pages. Go to the Insert menu and choose the "Maps" item. The Discovery department is adding more features to this area, like geoshapes. You can read more at mediawiki.org.
- The "Save" button now says "Save page" when you create a page, and "Save changes" when you change an existing page. In the future, the "सङ्ग्रह गर्ने" button will say "Publish page". This will affect both the visual and wikitext editing systems. More information is available on Meta.
- Image galleries now use a visual mode for editing. You can see thumbnails of the images, add new files, remove unwanted images, rearrange the images by dragging and dropping, and add captions for each image. Use the "Options" tab to set the gallery's display mode, image sizes, and add a title for the gallery.
The visual editor will be offered to all editors at the remaining 10 "Phase 6" Wikipedias during the next month. The developers want to know whether typing in your language feels natural in the visual editor. Please post your comments and the language(s) that you tested at the feedback thread on mediawiki.org. This will affect several languages, including Thai, Burmese and Aramaic.
The team is working on a modern wikitext editor. The 2017 wikitext editor will look like the visual editor and be able to use the citoid service and other modern tools. This new editing system may become available as a Beta Feature on desktop devices in October 2016. You can read about this project in a general status update on the Wikimedia mailing list.
Let's work together
- Do you teach new editors how to use the visual editor? Did you help set up the Citoid automatic reference feature for your wiki? Have you written or imported TemplateData for your most important citation templates? Would you be willing to help new editors and small communities with the visual editor? Please sign up for the new VisualEditor Community Taskforce.
- If you aren't reading this in your preferred language, then please help us with translations! Subscribe to the Translators mailing list or contact us directly, so that we can notify you when the next issue is ready. धन्यवाद!
—Elitre (WMF) २१:१२, १७ अक्टोबर २०१६ (युटिसी(UTC))
New Wikipedia Library Accounts Available Now (November 2016)
The Wikipedia Library is announcing signups today for free, full-access, accounts to published research as part of our Publisher Donation Program. You can sign up for new accounts and research materials from:
- Foreign Affairs - Journal of international relations and U.S. foreign policy
- OpenEdition - Journals in the social sciences and humanities
- Édition Diffusion Presse Sciences - French and English language scientific journals
- ASHA - Speech–language–hearing journals
- Tilastopaja - Athletics statistics
- ' - Many new databases added
- Taylor & Francis - Strategic, Defence & Security Studies collection
I apologise that this message is in English. ⧼Centralnotice-shared-help-translate⧽
We are having a problem with attackers taking over wiki accounts with privileged user rights (for example, admins, bureaucrats, oversighters, checkusers). It appears that this may be because of weak or reused passwords.
Community members are working along with members of multiple teams at the Wikimedia Foundation to address this issue.
In the meantime, we ask that everyone takes a look at the passwords they have chosen for their wiki accounts. If you know that you've chosen a weak password, or if you've chosen a password that you are using somewhere else, please change those passwords.
Select strong passwords – eight or more characters long, and containing letters, numbers, and punctuation. Joe Sutherland (कुरा गर्ने) / MediaWiki message delivery (कुरा गर्ने) ००:००, १४ नोभेम्बर २०१६ (युटिसी(UTC))
Adding to the above section (Password reset)
Help test offline Wikipedia
New way to edit wikitext
James Forrester (Product Manager, Editing department, Wikimedia Foundation) --१९:३१, १४ डिसेम्बर २०१६ (युटिसी(UTC))
Review of initial updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process
Note: Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English. Message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.
The Wikimedia movement is beginning a movement-wide strategy discussion, a process which will run throughout 2017. For 15 years, Wikimedians have worked together to build the largest free knowledge resource in human history. During this time, we've grown from a small group of editors to a diverse network of editors, developers, affiliates, readers, donors, and partners. Today, we are more than a group of websites. We are a movement rooted in values and a powerful vision: all knowledge for all people. As a movement, we have an opportunity to decide where we go from here.
This movement strategy discussion will focus on the future of our movement: where we want to go together, and what we want to achieve. We hope to design an inclusive process that makes space for everyone: editors, community leaders, affiliates, developers, readers, donors, technology platforms, institutional partners, and people we have yet to reach. There will be multiple ways to participate including on-wiki, in private spaces, and in-person meetings. You are warmly invited to join and make your voice heard.
The immediate goal is to have a strategic direction by Wikimania 2017 to help frame a discussion on how we work together toward that strategic direction.
Regular updates are being sent to the Wikimedia-l mailing list, and posted on Meta-Wiki. Beginning with this message, monthly reviews of these updates will be sent to this page as well. Sign up to receive future announcements and monthly highlights of strategy updates on your user talk page.
Here is a review of the updates that have been sent so far:
- Update 1 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (15 December 2016)
- Introduction to process and information about budget spending resolution to support it
- Update 2 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (23 December 2016)
- Start of search for Lead Architect for movement strategy process
- Update 3 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (8 January 2017)
- Plans for strategy sessions at upcoming Wikimedia Conference 2017
- Update 4 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (11 January 2017)
- Introduction of williamsworks
- Update 5 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (2 February 2017)
- The core movement strategy team, team tracks being developed, introduction of the Community Process Steering Committee, discussions at WikiIndaba conference 2017 and the Wikimedia movement affiliates executive directors gathering in Switzerland
- Update 6 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (10 February 2017)
- Tracks A & B process prototypes and providing feedback, updates on development of all four Tracks
More information about the movement strategy is available on the Meta-Wiki 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy portal.
Overview #2 of updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process
Note: Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English. This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.
As we mentioned last month, the Wikimedia movement is beginning a movement-wide strategy discussion, a process which will run throughout 2017. This movement strategy discussion will focus on the future of our movement: where we want to go together, and what we want to achieve.
Regular updates are being sent to the Wikimedia-l mailing list, and posted on Meta-Wiki. Each month, we are sending overviews of these updates to this page as well. Sign up to receive future announcements and monthly highlights of strategy updates on your user talk page.
Here is a overview of the updates that have been sent since our message last month:
- Update 7 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (16 February 2017)
- Development of documentation for Tracks A & B
- Update 8 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (24 February 2017)
- Introduction of Track Leads for all four audience tracks
- Update 9 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (2 March 2017)
- Seeking feedback on documents being used to help facilitate upcoming community discussions
More information about the movement strategy is available on the Meta-Wiki 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy portal.
We invite you to join the movement strategy conversation (now through April 15)
०५:१०, १८ मार्च २०१७ (युटिसी(UTC))